Thursday, October 18, 2007

Reading Reflection Six

"Working class and poor people must receive less preventative health care than wealthy people and often must endure inadequate treatment in crowded public clinics.” (Newman, 190).

This chapter began with an anecdote from Newman about a trip he took to Thailand and a visit he had to make to a hospital. He expected to have to wait in line for hours because of all the people he saw in front of him in line, but because he was American and the hospital staff knew he would be able to pay, and most likely pay in cash he was rushed in and received some of the most personal care he had ever received at a hospital. This story clearly shows how not only in America, but all over the world the health care you receive is dependent on the amount of money you have.

Personally, the entire healthcare system both here and in Thailand makes me furious. Healthcare, at least in my eyes, is one of the things that should be provided if you cannot afford it. It is ridiculous to me that people go without medical attention because they don’t have the money to pay, and it happens all the time all over the world. I cannot understand how a government could be aware of the issues with healthcare and still not do anything to help.

I am from Massachusetts and recently they passed a law that says it is illegal to not have health insurance. Until your 18 your parents take care of your health, and if you go to college you are all set, but many of my friends got jobs right after high school, and they cannot afford health insurance. The new law completely screwed anyone who gets out of high school, is looking for a job, must say their expenses, and health insurance is required. The whole system makes me furious.

Newman clearly pointed out how the rich receive better healthcare simply because they are wealthy. He and I are in agreement that it is not fair and something needs to change. Although I was aware of the issues with insurance and healthcare in America, and I knew that all over the world people were not receiving the care required I never gave it much thought because it did not affect me. I would really like to see something change in this area, because I can’t see it remaining the same.

No comments: