Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Ignorance of Americans- Obervation Journal 1

Most Americans seem to share the idea that we are superior in all things, and everyone else in the world should follow, imitate and otherwise emulate American ways. I was sitting in English class last semester and the discussions turned into what we had done the previous weekend. A student raised his hand and mentioned that he had taken a trip to Montreal for the weekend with friends, but would not be returning because he disliked how the Canadians in Montreal spoke French. He felt that everyone in Canada should speak English, and to my horror most of the class agreed. The discussion continued, and I sat there, seething at the ignorance of the people I was sitting with. It hit me then that Americans really are brainwashed from birth to think everything American is right, while everything foreign or different is wrong. It perpetuates the cycle of oppression and inequality on a worldly level, because Americans (or I should say most Americans) feel that they are superior, and therefore others are inferior.
This instance in my English class happened over 6 months ago, and the conversation I witnessed had such a great impact on me that I remember it as clear as day. I am disappointed in myself, because although I was mortified to even be in the same room as that conversation, I didn't speak up. I pointed out that when in another country you cannot expect things to be Americanized especially for your convenience, but I didn't give the class the earful I wish I could have. The event as a whole changed my beliefs and my perspective as an American. I can also say that if I ever hear another conversation similar to the one that took place so many months ago I will not sit by quietly and watch. Something needs to be said.

6 comments:

Brynn said...

I think that you are right when you say most Americans expect things will be "Americanized" when they go to other places, especially Canada. Because of it being so close, and many people grew up going there to party on the weekends because of the drinking age difference. This givces the people (in this case young adults that i am talking about) a feeling of propiership there. There is a sense that it should be a certain way. However, I think that when making statements like this one, we need to be careful just how generalized the comments are on people as a whole. That being said, I believe I would have had a similar reaction to that conversation, although I have to admit that it probably would not have phased me as much because I have grown up hearing people make fun of Canada. I am ashamed to say that...but it is the truth, I'm not saying that its right. I would definitley feel the urge to stick up for citizens of Canada.

shelby said...

Reading this is coming at the right time, since September 11ths anniversary was yesterday. From my own personal experience and those i have seen in films we watched that day, anyone with an Arab descent or Muslim religion all the sudden became the blame by Americans. It all goes back to the fact some people believe this country is superior to all others, giving us the right to bully and push others around. Although there were around 6 million Muslims living in American during 9/11, non Arabs felt as though they could shoulder the blame on them because they weren't "Americans". However when this country began, everyone came from different places, so what makes Americans better than their ancestors? Why should others bend to our believes and our ways when they spawned everyone living in America now? I don't understand how this superior mind set began but I'll do my part in not fueling the flames.

Courtney Brown said...

Samantha, I must say I'm glad that you said "most American," only because side with you on saying that Americans are ignorant. When I traveled to India, a lot of the Americans with me, were selfish in adapting to the culture and excepting how other people in this world live. I find some Americans to expect people to know our language when we travel, when in essence we should be more open minded and try traveling knowing another counrties language, cultural beliefs ect. Just to make a point, my boyfriend is Bosnian and he speaks three languages, and I only speak one. I think this speaks volumes for much of our culture. Great insight!

Jessie Tessier said...

Hmmm, your observation really made me think. Both my paternal and maternal grandfathers were both French Canadian. When they came to the U.S. they were very young, and barely spoke any english. Overtime they learned how to speak english. With that said, I have found myself sometimes poking fun at Canadians, even though a part of my family history is in Canada. After reading your observation I will watch what I say. I do not want to perpetuate a cycle where people do not want to go to Canada because they think all Canadians should speak english. I didn't realize how many people are so narrow minded at times. Of course it's not entirely there fault as you mentioned. It is quite possible that America gives off the persona of being superior, even if it doesn't come right out and say it. Great observation!

Jessie Tessier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca Ross said...

I have to agree that some Americans are ignorant! While I am of the belief that you should be able to speak the language of the country that you are living in, I don't think it is the same if you're just visiting the country. That student that was mad b/c they speak French in Montreal is obviously a bit of an idiot in my book. He may as well complain that they only speak French in France!