Saturday, September 22, 2007

Reading Reflection Three

“You can’t put white people in their place when they own the place to begin with.” -Tim Wise

This essay confused me first and foremost. Wise’s first point seemed to be that white racism is not really an issue because black people have less hurtful slurs for whites than vice versa. He made it seem as though black racism toward whites is alright because blacks have been oppressed for so long, and it’s not really racism because blacks aren’t in a position to bee racist, considering their lack of power. Personally, I feel all racism is wrong, whether it be black on white, white on black, Indian or Asian. I don’t think any racism should be tolerated.
Wise also points out that black people are worse off than white, even when they make more money. He says things like “But they [poor whites] nonetheless retain a certain “one-up” on equally poor or even somewhat better off people of color thanks to racism.” However, he never really explains why he feels this way, nor does he provide proof to back up his claims. I do agree with Wise’s feelings that African Americans have suffered more than whites due to racism, and there is no denying that racism still exits today. However, I feel that all discrimination based upon race is bad, and I cannot agree that some discrimination is worse than others, because I think that all discrimination is terrible. The fact that in the title of the piece is the words “reverse racism”, which is how Wise describes other groups hatred of whites is completely ignorant to me. If racism is the discrimination of a group based on race, then how is hatred of whites reverse racism, not just racism?
Finally, Tim Wise makes the point that white people are in power, which is why they can be racist, but that almost sounds like he is saying that whites are superior, or at least that blacks are inferior, which in itself seems racist. So although Wise’s article did not make me change my perspective, it did make me question my beliefs, and I hold them more strongly than ever.

3 comments:

Mallorie Kutzner said...

Your response really annoys me. I think you’re wrong in a lot of your own opinions. It seems that you’re truly attempting to hold onto the fact that whites can have meaningful racist comments thrown at them, and have the same personal impact that the “N” word has towards blacks/ African-Americans. Just like your quote states “You can’t put white people in their place when they own the place to begin with.” It’s unfortunate that life is like that (and I completely disagree with how unfair it is), but reality has to be accepted, and that reality is, whites do sit “one-up.”
I wish I could say something constructive about your article—but as you stated you were “confused first and foremost”, and I’d say I think your article shows that.

Man Nguyen said...

"He made it seem as though black racism toward whites is alright because blacks have been oppressed for so long, and it’s not really racism because blacks aren’t in a position to bee racist, considering their lack of power"

I have to disagree with you on this one because I don't think Wise's intention was racism by whites is okay. MY interpretation of Wise's essay was that not only Whites can be racist but everyone; majority and minority alike. When the minority, Blacks as an example become racist against the majority, Whites, racism is not recognized and is considered as humor. He is not saying it is "alright" for Whites to be racist. He is showing you and I that racism exists both ways.

Bruno said...

Hi Samatha,

Congratulation for your discerning thoughts. I'm very struck by the fact that many people like you seem to be commenting on the internet, at the same time, about the same text. I'd be curious to know in what context ? Sensitivity training ? online class ?

However it seems you're not meant so much to discuss this text as to display blind agreement with it. Are you being provided by your "teacher" both sides of the issue and an array of opinions that would allow you to make up your own mind ?

While I don't really have time to dwell on what is and what isn't discrimination, and wether it applies or not to white people. I think, however, that "affirmative action" is institutionalized discrimination against white people and that "diversity" programs are the same thing by another name. I think you ought to visit this website to know more about this issue and have a poçint of view very different from Tim Wise :

www.adversity.net

Regarding Racial slurs and diffamation against white people, this might interest you :

www.resistingdefamation.org

Personnally, I don't like the expression "reverse racism". I think it's more appropriate to talk about "anti-white racism". the "reverse racism" expression actually promotes racist stereotypes against white people. Saying "reverse racism" implies there is a "norm" in racism (white people's racism toward other racial groups) and that racism is, somehow, a "white thing", which is wrong and prejudiced.

Please see my page : reverse racism Vs anti-white racism

The fact that Tim Wise actually uses the "reverse" expression shows he intends to "frame" white people. It is a very ideological piece in that regard.

Please Samatha, keep thinking freely, don't bow to peer pressure.