Saturday, September 8, 2007

"She could not go to the bathroom by herself. She could not recognize a glass of water for what it was. But she could recognize a nigger." Tim Wise

I found Wise's essay to be very powerful. This fresh view on racism in America really made me question my beliefs. I have never considered myself to be racist, but I can admit that I have preconceived notions when I first meet someone, whether it be based on their race, gender, age and so on. My first reaction to this essay was agreement, mixed with guilt, because I am guilty of judging people before I know them. I loved the writer's honesty and ability to put his beliefs and opinions into such a powerful essay. His personal story about his grandmother and her debilitating disease makes the piece all the more honest and real.
While reading assignments for most classes is an arduous chore, the readings assigned were both informative and entertaining. I liked that they challenge my views. The way in which Wise presents his argument is both fresh and persuasive, and he does not hold back. He's not afraid to be offensive or disagreeable. He challenged how I see myself. Although I am not racist or prejudice, I can see that people in America often are conditioned to hate. Wise's grandmother was taught to hate blacks the same way in which many children today are being taught, whether consciously or unconsciously to hate Arabs, or anyone who looks Middle-Eastern. Instead of feeling guilty about it, it needs to be accepted to it can be changed. Pretending the problem does not exist is only going to further propel racism in America.

4 comments:

Michele Kiefer said...

Samantha,
Wises' story of his grandmother really opened my mind as well. You make a good point that there is no use in simply feeling guilty at the end of these readings for having your own personal biases; rather a person should take action in changing these biases. Wises’ makes a statement that supports this idea, “To put an end to this vicious system of racial caste. To spend every day resisting the temptations of advantage, which ultimately weaken the communities on which we all depend.” I agree that a change is necessary. I am curious what Wise thinks we can do as a society or as individuals to make changes. You bring up an interesting point about how our society is conditioned to hate. The way our society perceives the Arab race is a good example.

Stephanie Schmidt said...

I totally agree with what your saying. When I first read both of these articles I shared the same feelings of guilt because I know that I am also guilty of preconceived notions. Sometimes you just look at a person and judge them based on anything you can find. I believe that Wises' article was wrote to make a point that no matter how much you say you aren't this or you aren't that, that deep down inside there is a part of ALL of us that differentiates us from others.

Rayleen Carangio said...

I agree with what you are saying. I have the tendence to judge and evaluated people the first time i meet them as well and I definitly feel guilty about that. Like you I also questioned what I might say if I was in that position and I wonder if you thought that as well. I gave him credit for being able to take a personal story and tell it as it seems like it is easier to tell a story about someone we do not know that it would be about ones own grandmother whom we admire.

katemullen01 said...

I would also agree with you. I also find myself gulity of judging people at first glance and most of the time I dont even realize that I am doing it. I would also say that racism is passed down through generations, and I think realizing our own thoughts is one of the first steps to fighting racism.