Saturday, September 15, 2007

Reading Reflection Two

“In other words, race is a social construction.” (Newman 42)

I have to begin by saying that the idea of constructionism is really interesting to me. Constructionism is the philosophy that the things we find to be real and essential are products of the culture and historical period we live in. In my life I have spent hours, maybe even days discussing issues such as race, gender, sexuality, etc. However, I have never looked at what those words actually mean, or where those ideas come from. For the first time in my life I have begun to examine my beliefs about these issues, and I find them changing all the time, especially after some of these readings challenge my views. My first reaction to the reading was fascination. All of these identities, including race, gender and sexuality are merely lists of criteria used to group individuals together. For example, to be a woman you must have female parts, menstruate, produce estrogen, and so on. But the criteria above does nothing but differentiate men and women, which is completely based on society. What was male and female years ago has begun to change because of our culture. Technology today can make a man have female parts through surgery, and a man can be supplied with estrogen. Does that make him a man or a woman? I hadn’t even contemplated these issues until reading this chapter.
The author not only challenged my beliefs, he shaped them. I really agree with constructionism, and the idea that identities are constructed by humans. It is really hard to see it that way however, because I have always seen race, gender, sexuality as concrete things that could not be changed. I now understand that these are all fluid concepts that change based on society. Is someone of mixed race black or white? And who gets to decide? It is all based in society. Finally, I like how the author put the other idea, essentialism in the text so the reader can compare and contrast. It made it easier to understand, and seeing the other view made it easier to choose a side. I support the philosophy of constructionism all the more because I was able to compare it the opposite view, essentialism.

1 comment:

Rayleen Carangio said...

I agree with you that constructionism is a facinating idea. I also, before doing some of these readings, did not really question what it ment to be a man and a woman. Because I haven't lived in another time period what I have been taught is what I think defines men and women, however that does not mean it is 100% correct. I love that you acknowledge that some of these ideas are new to you but you read them and then re-evaluated your beliefs. I give you a lot of credit for doing this as opposed to reading and closing your mind off to these concepts.